Global warming: Brown Bros looks to Tasmania

25 May, 2011

Brown Brothers acquisition of the two Tasmanian wine producers is recognition that global warming is a reality and the company has to look to cooler climes to ensure its future.

Ross Brown who heads up the still family owned and managed Victoria state-based producer, told Drinks International that the AUS$ 32 million acquisition of Tamar Ridge and Pirie represented a huge investment for the company but it was vital to its future.

“We have bought 400 hectares which is 20% of the total Tasmanian production. It represents about 1% of Australia’s total production but Tasmanian got four in Matthew Jukes' top 100 Australian wines and that is 4% of his awards. Pinot Noir is the growing category. It has 5% of Australia’s total but is growing at 20%,” said Brown.

“We recognise that Pinot Noir is enormous (Tasmania’s cool climate is perfect for cultivation of Pinot Noir) and, as for the future I think we have to take global warming as read,” said Ross.

Brown Bros has a reputation for being innovate. It first came to prominence with its Orange Muscat and Flora dessert wine. Later it introduced Tarrango which is a grape variety that produces a light-bodied wine similar to Beaujolais. Its latest is Cienna Rosso, a full-bodied, low alcohol (7.5%) sparkling red wine.

Digital Edition

Drinks International digital edition is available ahead of the printed magazine. Don’t miss out, make sure you subscribe today to access the digital edition and all archived editions of Drinks International as part of your subscription.


Tess Posthumus

The Great Tipping Debate

Tipping can be a difficult subject in the bar industry. As a bar owner, bartender and regular consumer, I see it from every perspective and it can be tricky to get right.