The Islay whisky collected the most votes from the store’s 65 staff – a pool that included Drinks International whisky specialist Dominic Roskrow, author of The World's Best Whiskies: 750 Unmissable Drams from Tain to Tokyo.
Ian Bankier, executive chairman of The Whisky Shop, said: “Laphroaig Quarter Cask is a distinctive and worthy champion. It is a wonderful example of the Islay style and it proves beyond doubt that you don’t have to break the bank to enjoy a fantastic tasting whisky.”
The Laphroaig expression, which also won the peated Islay whisky category, has been part-aged in quarter-sized casks, allowing for more contact with the oak barrel.
Other winners included:
• Non-peated Highland whisky: Old Pulteney 12 year old
• Island whisky: Talisker 10 year old
• Lowland whisky: Auchentoshan 12 year old
• Speyside whisky: BenRiach 12 year old
• Sherried whisky: Glenfarclas 105
• Premium whisky: The Dalmore 18 year old