27 August, 2008
- La Fée absinthe has released a lower-strength product targeted at price-conscious regional airports and charter airlines. La Fée NV is half the strength of the company's standard 68 per cent abv La Parisienne reference. A 70cl bottle will sell in duty-free at under £20.
- Morrison Bowmore Distillers has produced an exclusive limited-edition Bowmore single malt whisky to coincide with the opening of BAA's new London Heathrow Terminal 5 later this year. The new whisky was selected by BAA-owned World Duty Free.
- UK operator Alpha Group has opened a refurbished bar at Stockholm's Skavsta airport. The bar is 30m long, serving wines, beers, Champagnes and cocktails, as well as regular promotional activities from brands such as Carlsberg and Absolut.
- World Duty Free reports sales of the UK's traditional Christmas tipple Baileys soared by 40 per cent over the weekend of December 14-15. Non-vintage Champagne sales rose 11 per cent, while a trend for trading-up led to an 18 per cent rise for prestige varieties.
- William Grant & Sons has produced a rare and exclusive expression of The Balvenie malt whisky for Paris Charles de Gaulle retailer Aelia. The Balvenie Single Cask 1970 is priced at €680 and only 191 bottles are available.
- A French luxury food retailer has created a branded wine corner in a new diplomatic shop run by Tunisian operator Hamila Duty Free in downtown Tunis, which opened in November. Wines stocked range in price from €10-€35.